Cowbridge Town’s four-some performances puts them into semi-finals

By GEM Community Correspondent in Football

Cowbridge Town’S first team continued their run of good form with a resounding win in the quarter-final of the Vale Of Glamorgan ASRS Cup.

Playing at home the town hosted bottom of the league Masons Removals and came out 4-0 winners.

The town started well, and after seven minutes created their first of many chances with Connor Benyon crossing from the left and James Kennedy volleying just wide.

As the game progressed it became apparent that Cowbridge just had to remain patient to get their first goal.

Several chances were squandered with Gavin, Cooper and the Kennedy brothers all narrowly missing scoring opportunities.

It wasn’t until the 40th minute that Cowbridge took the lead, with a somewhat scrappy goal. It came from a corner that Masons failed to clear, after two shots on goal the ball came back to Lloyd Lewis who with some aplomb buried the volley in the roof of the net.

Then directly from the kick off the ball was played forward to Pinchbeck who controlled it with his right foot and then hit an unstoppable left foot drive into the top left hand corner of the goal, from all of 25 yards, leaving the goalkeeper firmly rooted to the spot.

A couple of minutes later the half-time whistle went and the town went into the break 2-0 up.

The start of the second half saw much of the same with total domination from the town.

The game progressed with long range chances falling to Hans Kennedy, Mathew Little and Jack Gavin, all after good build up play in the middle of the park and down the flanks.

Substitutions were made with Ryan Ashby, Adam Bennet and Mike Gingell all getting valuable time on the pitch and making valuable contributions when they got on.

Despite all the changes Cowbridge kept their focus and their shape and the chances continued to follow with Gavin, Ashby both going close after good build up play.

Then in the 40th minute the ball came down the flank towards Gavin who rose to head it into the box where it was picked up by Ashby who was immediately brought down for a penalty.

Lloyd Lewis stepped up and sending the keeper the wrong way easily scored to make it 3-0.

The final touch was then added when Mathew Little found himself at the back post on the end of a Benyon cross and deftly chipped the ball over the floundering goalkeeper to make it 4-0.

Cowbridge manager Andy Pinchbeck confirmed the team had played well, but that he was still a little concerned at the amount of chances that had been squandered:?“We still have work to do to improve but lets enjoy the wins while they keep coming.”

Cowbridge Town’s next game is away to AFC Rhoose in a VOG Premier League top-of-the-table clash on Saturday, February 18.


Add Comment

Add Your Comment

You don't need an account to leave a comment

By posting your comment you agree to our T & C